August 14, 2011

Clearing out my head

I’m not really sure how to start this. I’m mostly doing this for my own sanity, but if you find entertainment in reading this, more power to you. I foresee a lot of incessant rambling, but given that a grand total of perhaps five people will read this, it’s of little concern to me.
The last few months have truly been the most exciting time of my life. I was accepted as an Astronomy major at the University of Arizona, selected to see the second to last shuttle launch, only for the astrovan to turn around at the VAB, was in Europe for sixteen days, was invited back and witnessed the last shuttle flight in history, drove roughly two thousand miles across the country to my new home, and went to Los Angeles to watch and meet one of my biggest influences perform at one of if not the most important show of his career.


I’ll be starting back at school in eight days, in what will be the hardest semester of my life. It’s been quite a number of years since I’ve taken fifteen credits, and in my opinion there aren’t any soft A’s. Honors Electricity and Magnetism, Honors Thermodynamics and Optics, Linear Algebra, Advanced Applied Analysis, and C Programming. If I’m completely honest, I’m quite nervous about all of them, perhaps programming being the exception. That being said, I will do whatever it takes to do the best I possibly can. I’m more than willing to sacrifice my health and personal relationships in the short term in order to succeed. Sorry (up to) five people that might come across this and have any sort of concern for my well being. My drop in communication with you is most certainly not intentional. Perhaps I’m biased, but I think up until now I’ve screwed around when it came to applying myself, academically speaking. Because I’m a new transfer student, my GPA resets. With that, I have a new opportunity to prove to myself that I truly have the drive and desire to succeed in whatever endeavor I choose. The way I see it is that given the scenario I’ve presented myself, not just this semester but my overall academic goal, I have to rise to a level of commitment I hitherto have not reached and sustain it. That being said, I am eager to begin again. For as much anxiety as it generates, there isn’t a drug on this planet which comes close to the feeling I have when I accomplish what I set out to achieve, especially in this context. The cosmos, in and of itself, is a drug far more powerful than what homo-sapiens can produce or cultivate. Taking this journey is unequivocally the most difficult thing I have ever done, and I wouldn’t have it any other way.


Keep looking up.

No comments:

Post a Comment